Saturday, January 16, 2010

Play Doh Dilemma

Help me. I am having a small dilemma with play doh and I need some advice. This is going to be so silly to some of you, but I really want to hear what others do about this. First, let me say that I am a somewhat "particular" (I do not like to use the other word that belongs in the same word family as our rumps) person when it comes to cleaning and organization and believe that everything has its place and should be kept as nice and neat as possible for as long as possible. So play doh has become my greatest enemy lately. Anderson wants to play with more than one color at a time and well you all know good and well what happens when multiple colors are out of the containers at once. You no longer get red, orange, yellow and pink, but a new batch is made. Swirly play doh. I personaly hate swirly play doh. The more you play with it, the uglier it gets. It becomes brownish grey and yuck. It is so unorganized and dirty! So does it really matter??? Am I being too particular about this? Do I let him use the play doh to his hearts desire and buy more when it gets yucky? Or is this a good way to teach him to take care of his toys (in this case play doh) and keep it to one color at a time? What do you do about your play doh??? Help! :)

Pics are coming soon! Lots of updates (birthday party, christmas, snow, etc.)

6 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

I just let them mix it - but I only give two colors at once, so it doesn't ALL get mixed. I tried separating, but it just isn't as fun. And it annoys me too!! Maybe you could make or buy big batches of playdoh and only give him smaller batches, keeping the rest in air tight containers and then when it gets back or you want to throw it out, you'll already have some on hand?

The Connaughton's said...

When it comes to Art (play doh included) let him go for it!! Play doh can be replaced so easliy! You can teach him to take care of his toys by picking them up and playing with them correctly! But let him go crazy when it comes to all that! Believe me I am the same way when it comes to organization and such! It drives me crazy at school, but I know the kids are having a blast and using their imaginations

Kate said...

agree w/ the above in THEORY, but I too have a really hard time with mixing the play-dough colors!!!

Diana said...

No, Anderson needs to stop playing with two and just play with one. he will have to get used to it, even though I did it when I was a kid.

Sage advice from cousin Kaya!

Diana said...

PlayDoh is cheap - when it gets ugly, you can get him more. Who knows, maybe he'll invent a new color!

Sara A. said...

Sorry Laura - I wish I was like you (organized!), but I'm not and I actually commented to a little girl at a playdate we were at how "cool" the play doh looked all mixed together and encouraged Gaby to do the same! Play doh gets so yucky so fast you might as well let him mess it up and then periodically buy new ones. He'll eventually move on and probably enjoy keeping the colors separate. Right now, I'm just sick of the little balls of play doh all over my house!